Pages

Monday, April 3, 2023

Get creative and collaborate with illustrators and artists, but also be creative and cost-conscious!

Hello from Crippled Beagle Publishing Headquarters in Knoxville, Tennessee. The dogwoods are blooming, and I am feeling energized by the spring weather and scenery. How about you?

Lately, I’ve been answering lots of questions about book illustration, artwork, and photography. There are multiple ways to find the right illustrator for your work. Here are a few “fancy” methods I’ve tried, all of which have been successful.

  • Word of mouth – I created a post on social media and asked for recommendations.
  • Online marketplaces – I’ve used Fiverr, Reedsy, and Upwork to find subcontractor talent.
  • Canva – Often, I can create artwork or use royalty-secured artwork through my pro account with Canva.
  • Friends and relatives (mine/clients’) – Ask around in your social circles. You may be surprised at what talents are hidden among your family and friends!
  • Clients – Many of my clients provide their own photography or artwork, which adds to the creative experience while saving them money.

Visit www.crippledbeaglepublishing.com and go to the bookstore page to see lots of cover designs created by all the above.

If you do decide to collaborate with an artist, there are a few issues to consider. For that reason, I created a short guide to help you. If you would like my “How to Work with an Illustrator Tip Sheet," email me at jody@crippledbeaglepublishing.com.

Happy springtime from East Tennessee!

xoxoxo

Jody