Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

BLOG HOP – THINKING, LEARNING, and CONNECTING OUTSIDE THE BARN!


Friends and readers, welcome to a blog hop! Never heard of one? The point of a blog hop is to introduce readers to new bloggers and their work. Welcome to Theories: Size 12 (my humor blog of varied content.) Feel free to browse through posts.

Also, I'd like for you to check out my friend and fellow author, Vanessa Rouse. Vanessa is former special education teacher who writes educational and entertaining children’s books. Find her blog and books here: http://mamabearbedtimebooks.blogspot.com/. Thanks Vanessa for inviting me to collaborate with other creative minds!
  
For those of you visiting from other blogs, I’ll answer four questions to help you learn about my work and me.

About Jody, a.k.a. "Bug"

1) What am I working on? Right now, I marketing my creative non-fiction book, The Eye of Adoption. I speak to local groups (social workers, family agencies, high school classes, church groups, book clubs, women’s groups, and non-profits) about my story, self-publishing, and adoption as a theme in life. I’m building my next book, a collection of humorist essays, through my blog, titled Theories: Size 12, Go on and get mad, but you know I’m right. Basically, each week’s post is a rough draft of a future chapter. I plan to publish the book of Theories in late 2014 or early 2015.
2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I differ from many authors in that I write and “speak” directly to readers. I teach through emotional and humorous anecdotes and am embarrassingly honest. I think being complete;y relatable and down-to-earth is refreshing to readers, particularly those who are enduring a difficult life experience like infertility or adoption. My goal is for readers to find a friend (me) in the pages I write. And, of course, I want folks to laugh!

3) Why do I write what I do?
After suffering through infertility and enduring the rigorous adoption process, to beginning a "wide" open adoption with my child's birth family, I felt compelled to write the book that would have helped me during those experiences. I love teaching and telling stories. I love to write. I love to help people. I love to laugh. I simply combine all my loves and write the way I feel like writing. If someone chooses to read what I write, I am honored.

4) How does your writing process work?
I keep a composition book with me all the time. If I think of something poignant or funny, I jot it down. I actually do most of my writing in those little notebooks because I teach full time and have two young children. So, sitting at a computer at home for any nice stretch of time is usually impossible. I also reach out to friends and readers for fodder and ideas. I sneak in questions to my students (field research). To finalize my blog posts, I get up at 5:00 a.m. – the only time I’m ever alone, and type like a crazy woman until I'm satisfied or out of time.

Thanks for taking the time to learn a little about The Eye of Adoption, Theories: Size 12, and me, Jody Cantrell Dyer.


Next week, be sure to learn about these fabulous bloggers/authors:


Deanna Kahler is an accomplished writer, proud parent and author of two books. Her first book, From Pain to Parenthood: A Journey Through Miscarriage to Adoptiondetails her difficult journey to motherhood and also provides tips and resources for others who may be facing similar circumstances. Her second book, Echoes of Paradise, is a fiction paranormal love story about the afterlife. Deanna began writing as a young child and enjoys the opportunity to reach others and make a difference in their lives. She writes from the heart and uses her own experiences as the foundation for her work. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Arts from Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. Deanna lives with her husband and daughter in Michigan and enjoys writing, dancing, walking and visiting parks in her spare time.

Echoes of Paradise Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/echoesofparadise
From Pain to Parenthood Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/pages/From-Pain-to-Parenthood/516578495046306
Twitter: @DeannaKahler

~  ~  ~

Debbie Barrow Michael is a gifted sculptor, painter, and writer. She authored But the Greatest of These is Love and pens beautifully academic articles in her blog, Consider It All Joy.

Book Description: On a March evening in 2000, an unexpected and unsettling thought came out of nowhere, disrupting Debbie Michael’s comfortable life—adoption! It was neither her idea nor her desire to adopt; she was already the mother of three. Instinctively, she knew God was speaking to her, but she did not want to listen if His message required action as life-changing as adopting an orphan. Dread lingered in the aftermath of the disturbing suggestion, and a debilitating fog of uncertainty settled over her life. A journey of a thousand miles (or five thousand, in this case) might begin with a single step, but Debbie was not eager to take that first step. Though God was relentless, she remained adamant. She was determined to ignore the nudging. But God would not be ignored! God pried Debbie out of her comfortable existence and opened a door to a life she didn’t know existed. But the Greatest of These is Love is about much more than adoption. It is a story about the powerful and astonishing ways God uses ordinary people to accomplish His divine intention that we love one another.

Website: http://www.amazon.com/But-Greatest-These-Is-Love/dp/1462402542
Blog: http://debbiebarrowmichael.blogspot.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/But-the-Greatest-of-These-is-Love-By-Debbie-Barrow-Michael/479380268762902
Twitter: @dbmichael6

Also, visit Amazon.com or my website to read about my book, The Eye of Adoption, my short story, Field Day, and my collection of essays for parents and teachers, Parents, Stop and Think.

Author website: www.jodydyer.com


Go ahead and follow these wonderful authors now so you won’t miss a thing!