Pages

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Author, to secure a speaking gig, talk about anything BUT your book! Here's an explanation with a list of ideas:)

 Creative Friend,

One of the best ways to make money on your book is to sell it in person. The best way to sell a book in person is to NOT talk about your book! How do I know? I learned from the Knox County Library many years ago. I asked the library manager if I could do a book signing. She kindly agreed and coached me on how to have good attendance.

She said, “Don’t talk about the book.”

What?

She said, “Talk about something that will interest anyone who may come.”

We discussed my experience, and she loved that I taught myself how to publish books. She said, “Let’s call the program ‘Adventures in Self-Publishing.’”

My first book, the one I wanted to sell at the library event, is about domestic infant adoption.

I followed the librarian's advice, wrote up a short, engaging talk about the process of publishing today, and our collaborative marketing efforts (her email list and flyers and my social media posts and my social media posts) got me a decent turnout of around 20 people. I think I sold about 10 copies of the book, which was GREAT! The audience loved the topic and asks LOTS of questions, which made my work much easier and their experience better.

I challenge you to brainstorm ideas for topics that are NOT about your book. To demonstrate, I set a timer for 10 minutes and opened up my website to look at the Bookstore. There, I scanned my clients’ book covers and jotted down as many ideas as I could for topics they can use for podcasts, guest blogs, speaking gigs, and freelance articles. Here's my list.

RANDOM, BRAINSTORM RESULTS - POTENTIAL SPEAKING/WRITING TOPICS

How to Change a Law

Traditional vs. Modern-Day Adoption

Finding Christ Late in Life

How to Cope When a Loved One is in Addiction

Foster Parenting 101

Writing in Retirement

How to Write About Your Life

Cross-Country Moves: What I Learned

What Happens When a City-Slicker Moves to a Ranch

Answering God’s Call to Share Your Story

Tips for Parents and Teachers

What Parents Need to Know About Education Today

Surviving and Thriving Post-Divorce

How to Get Business Using Facebook

Book Marketing Basics

How to Write a Book When You Work Full-Time

Fantasy Writing Basics

What I Learned While Writing my First Book

How to Incorporate Christian Values Into Characters and Stories

The Most Creative Age? 80+!

Cathartic Artistry – Writing to Heal and Help Others

Lesson from the Greatest Writers

How to Hear God

Ways to Pray and Why

The Gifts of Gratitude Journaling

Brainstorming Basics

How to Be Funny on Paper

What I Learned as a Foodie Lawyer

 

Whew! I didn’t even make it to the children’s books section. I challenge you to think beyond your book and actually BOOK some opportunities. Get it? Ha! I hope you find this helpful! Reach out to me any time if you need assistance. I love to brainstorm with other creative people.

Happy thinking outside the book!

Xoxoxo

Jody