Pages

Friday, July 29, 2022

Let's climb that mountain together. The view from the top will wow you. The journey will change you.

 You may have figured out by now that this writer loves words and woods. Actually, weather permitting, I will head to the woods after work today to hike the Trillium Gap Trail to Grotto Falls in the Great Smoky Mountains. There, you can stand behind a waterfall and maybe spot the llama team that totes supplies to and from LeConte Lodge atop Mt. LeConte.

July 19, five friends and I climbed 5.5 miles up the Alum Cave Trail. We strolled through the temperate rainforest along Alum Cave Creek, progressed up countless steps through Arch Rock, rested for lunch in Alum Cave, passed the Keyhole, stopped many times to look in awe at creation, and gradually (sometimes narrowly and often holding on to metal cables bolted into the mountain) hiked to LeConte Lodge. There, we dropped our heavy packs and relaxed on the wooden porch attached to our cabin.

After a lamplit dinner (there's no electricity at the lodge), we scrambled up .2 more miles to Cliff Tops to watch the sunset. We sat with strangers and reverently watched the sun ease its way down into the dark, dense Smokies.

Headlamps and hiking poles helped us descend the slippery limestone trail. Soon, rain pelted tin roofs as the famous blue mist, which the Cherokee called shaconage, clouded the camp and gave it an ethereal ambience.

Author Kevin Nunn was kind enough to speak to my recent University of Tennessee class. He explained how he diagrammed his book's story arc and that, amazingly, the climax of the story actually occurs when the main character is at the peak of a mountain in Colorado. When I stand on a summit like Cliff Tops, Clingman's Dome, or even the hill behind my mother's farmhouse, I gain perspective. I think about how insanely, incompressible, and infinite the world is and how small I am. Then I think about what I've just accomplished: I have climbed a mountain!

In my East Tennessean opinion, writing a book is just like hiking a mountain. The idea can be unnerving. You have to plan for excitement, disaster, disappointment, frustration, joy, and work. Your experience is different from everyone else's. As my hiking buddy Sally says, "This is YOUR hike." But you should never hike alone. You may need serious help from others, but sharing the trek is a blast.

Of our group, only Sally and I had summited LeConte before. The other four were absolutely flabbergasted by the trip and the majesty of what they experienced. Marty, an inexperienced hiker, stopped and thanked God aloud when the trail opened up to low-growing rhododendrons and a multi-mile vista. I love telling everyone about how she was singing hymns in mile 2 but flinging the f-bomb in mile 5! I served as the sweep, the last hiker, for a few reasons. First, Marty needed to adjust to the funky exercise of hiking through multiple types of landscapes and the altitude change. Second, we had all day, so why rush a wonderful experience? Third, I wanted to take lots of pictures. Fourth, I wanted to make sure she did not miss any jewels as we worked our way to the crown of LeConte. At one point, she thanked me, saying, "Jody, I owe you a solid for sticking with me. Someday, I will pay you back big time." I said, "You can pay me back tonight by sleeping in the top bunk." She did:)

Just like Marty climbed that mountain, YOU CAN WRITE A BOOK. Decide, then take the first step. My clients, UT students (thank you for the awesome feedback and ideas!), and hiking experiences have inspired me to create something new. On OCTOBER 1, I will start REGAL BEAGLES Writing Club so that you can take one small step at a time and carefully work your way to a finished book with the help of a leader and a group of other writers.

Why REGAL Beagles? Remember: Content is king. Marketing is queen.

To stick with the play on words and better serve authors, on October 1, I'm also launching ROYALTY Club—a monthly membership to help authors consistently build and execute their book marketing efforts.

Friend, these clubs are the most affordable way to enjoy the benefits of instruction and support. Basically, I'm taking what I teach to my one-on-one clients and UT students and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g that content out to e-a-s-e you through the many steps of the book-writing and marketing processes.

Each lesson will help you build or strengthen your writing muscles. The lessons will progress in a logical order, but the lessons will also be self-contained, meaning that no matter where you are in your writing process (idea/finished first draft/fourth book/outline/whatever), you will benefit. I'm working out the details, but here's a brief rundown of what I plan to offer club members:

  • Group coaching: Monthly lessons delivered by email or an easy-to-use platform with video and slides (You don't have to be high-tech:)
  • Office hours with live phone and email support, with idea and manuscript feedback
  • Community events (live/Zoom) if/when practical and useful for the members
  • Progress pathways
  • Resources and tools (templates, tutorials, cheat sheets, quick guides, Google Sheets, and more)
  • 50% off private consultations with Jody
  • CBP e-Newsletter
  • VIP discounts on CBP services and packages (writing, editing, proofreading, and marketing)

Regal Beagles Writing Club: The cost is only $87/month. This is lower than my current hourly rate and less than my yoga plan! This is the lowest the price may ever be, and anyone who joins in this first group is grandfathered in at this price.

Royalty Book Marketing Club: The cost is only $37/month. BARGAIN. This is the lowest the price may ever be, and anyone who joins in this first group is grandfathered in at this price.

Enrollment is OPEN NOW. The enrollment doors for both clubs close September 15, and I will not start a new group until October 2023 or later. Because of the live components and because I want to make sure I am personally available to all members, I will limit the number of participants in each club, so if you want to be in one or both clubs, get on the list ASAP.

If you are ready to get on the list or still have questions, email me at dyer.cbpublishing@gmail.com.

Let's navigate the trail from idea to finished book together. I will guide you every step of the way.

XOXOXO
Jody