Pages

Friday, June 3, 2022

Want to be an energetic writer? Sweep your porch or go jump in a river.

 Who doesn't love a three-day weekend? For entrepreneurs and writers, fully resting (not working, not writing) can be a challenge. I find that when I eventually do rest, I actually get ideas. Of course, I want to immediately act on those ideas. Maybe that's because I'm an action taker, but maybe that's because I'm afraid I'll forget the ideas. Thus, I always have a composition book and pen for quick notes. I record the big ideas to address later. Then I relax.

Last Friday, my mother once again came to my rescue. She instructed me to stop working, close my office, and come help her cook and clean in preparation to welcome family members to our mountain cabin Riverdance.

Helping my mother at Riverdance is not work ... unless a black bear has gotten into the garbage. Because the house is OLD, not insulated, and often infiltrated by critters (I once found acorns under my pillow and met a copperhead at the back door), there's no pressure to make it shine. Actually, shiny surfaces are impossible. I liken our "housekeeping" there to a wonderful childhood gift from my paternal grandmother Wimmie. She bought me a playhouse, which was actually a small lawnmower shed. My parents pasted flowered paper to the thin walls and gifted me old dishes so I could bake mud pies in my toy metal oven. TOP SECRET: I swiped real eggs from the real kitchen and happily cracked them into my chocolate dirt before I sprinkled my mother's marigold blooms on top. I was the hero of my cousins for using what they called "real ingredients." How I loved to sweep the tiny porch and plan my next home-improvement project. With imagination and furniture placement, my playhouse converted to a daycare, classroom, restaurant, and genie bottle. Remember I Dream of Jeannie?

What stories I created and lived in that lawnmower shed!

Writer, don't underestimate the benefits you gain from mindless chores and playtime. If you can combine the two, there's magic to be found, especially in buildings with no insulation.

On long (or any) weekend or day off work, ease through (or throw away) to-do lists, delay (or cancel) self-imposed deadlines, enjoy basic tasks, watch children if you need examples, and rest your mind. You may be energized. My bet is that you will miss writing but return to your desk with new ideas and fervor.

FOR EXAMPLE: When we stood at the rope swing on Little River near Sunshine, Tennessee, my dear friend Tammy and I coached my son and her granddaughter on proper rope swing etiquette. During that playtime, which was as relaxing as it was amusing, we thought of a great idea. We are now writing a humorous book on etiquette in random places, beginning with rope swings in rural waterways.

In this video Scotty demonstrates his, um, technique. Some may think him a city slicker! Oh, and if you are wondering, proper etiquette dictates that after you swing into the river, you bring the rope out of the water and up the bank to the next swinger. The best swingers know to snap the rope downward just as they drop into the water to send the rope flying back to the riverbank.


 HAPPY SUMMER WRITING!

Jody

P.S. If you aren't following Crippled Beagle Publishing on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or Pinterest, you may be missing out. My team and I post helpful tips and graphics every week. Go to the bottom of this post to click and follow. Here's one example of a recent graphic Genesis created for you:

caption for image

Follow Crippled Beagle Publishing. We'd love to have you in the discussion threads! Tag us when you promote your book, too. Tag Crippled Beagle Publishing or me, , and I'll help you spread the word about your words!