Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2022

How do you stir up a brainstorm?

Hello creative,

I'm off to the mountains for much-needed rest. What usually happens when I "tree bathe" in the Smoky Mountains is both restorative and energizing. I cannot help but daydream as I walk the rocky trails of East Tennessee. When I get back to my cabin, I usually grab a notebook and brainstorm whatever idea came to me in the woods.

How do you BRAINSTORM? This week, a student asked me how to get unstuck during the writing process. The answer is easy. I told her, "Write." I elaborated, "Write ANYTHING that comes to mind."

My University of Tennessee KidsU Creative Writing campers shared how they benefitted from brainstorming.

Makes you think more about the story and create new ideas

Helps you understand what you really want to write

Helps you outline the project

Helps you avoid writing in flowery prose (what Mrs. Dyer calls “glittering generalities”)

I got all my ideas in one place and saw how they all connect and flow

Made me realize the extent of how disturbing my story is

I changed genres from story to play

Found a way to start my story

Figured out ways to reach the climax point of the story

I met characters in new places

Most clients want more guidance that my succinct answer, "Write," so I teach them different ways to brainstorm. Try this exercise.

FIVE SENSES BRAINSTORM

Consider a character/person and scene in your book. What does that character ...

See?

Hear?

Smell?

Taste?

Feel?

Jot down every word or phrase that comes to mind. Don't self-edit. Have fun. I think I'll try the Five Senses method on my walk in the woods today. If I SMELL cucumbers, I'll likely SEE a copperhead, and other hikers will HEAR me holler (mountain word for scream) because I don't want to FEEL any fangs as they TASTE my ankle.

BOO snakes! Yay writing! Happy brainstorming!

xoxoxo

Jody