Pages

Friday, March 11, 2022

Writer, the real question is, "What kind of hiker are you?"

 

When it comes to a large-scale project (like writing a book), what's your approach?

Mountains are fantastic metaphors, especially for writers. We stand back to see the big picture. We study the arc's catalyst, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. We appreciate sensory details, and know that there are many steps, challenges, switchbacks, and discoveries along the path from idea to published book. You may study other writers' approaches and wonder if their methods are better. Wonderful. Learn from others, but don't beat yourself up. Employ the well-worn methods that always work, but be realistic about what you can do when it comes to developing, writing, editing, publishing, and marketing a book. What kind of writer-hiker are you?


TRAIL?

​​My friend Tammy and I were planning a weekend on Little River in Townsend, Tennessee. We wanted our husbands to join us. I asked how deep the water would be that day, what the forecast was, and who all would be there because my husband Jeff would want to know. She said, "Jeff is like a convertible. All the conditions have to be just right or he's a no go." Jeff is a trail hiker. He goes when the conditions are right: good weather, dry trails, warm temperatures, before lunch, .... Because I'm a mother and entrepreneur, I must be a trail hiker, too. I schedule the hikes when I have a light workload and my mother can watch my little boy Scotty if the trail is too strenuous for him. 


Maybe, as a writer, you are a trail hiker. That is okay! You may have to select and work on one component of your project at a time. Ease into the process and grow as you take on each new challenge.



SECTION? 
If you have the time, budget, and schedule to take a week to hike a large section of the Appalachian Trail, I am JEALOUS! One of my bucket list goals is to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. The trip from Georgia to Maine can take six or so months. At this time in my life, ​that's logistically and financially impossible. One boy is in college. The other is only eleven years old. What I CAN do is take a week vacation here and there and hike (and camp) large sections of the AT. Maybe you have a seasonal job or lots of vacation time. 

Can you go on a writing retreat a few times a year? During those peaceful breaks, you could conquer large sections of your writing project. I really think that I could write the first draft of an entire book in ten workdays if I could have ten work days with no work, children, family, or friends. Ah, isolation; solitude is one of the most peaceful and restorative benefits of walking in the woods. Here, my buddy Nikki takes a break under Alum Cave Bluff on our way to Mount LeConte.

​​


THROUGH?

Are you a through-hiker when it comes to writing? Can you focus on your book for a good chunk of time every day for several months? Can you take a sabbatical for several weeks? If so, I am mightily jealous! One day, Jody, one day ....

I know several people who have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine. One fell permanently out of the yuppie rat race. One fell and broke her ankle. One fell in love. The concept of taking six months off from civilization is as tempting as it is terrorizing.

But, people do it, and many write about it. I loved the book Hiking Through by "regular guy, not a writer" Paul Stutzman. He lost his wife to cancer. Instead of returning to his normal routine, he sought peace of mind through the enormous goal of hiking the AT's 2,176 miles. I did not like Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods as much. The author loves to hear himself write (and that's coming from ME), and he made fun of my hometown of Gatlinburg, Tennessee (not cool, Bill). If I remember right, he didn't finish the trail either. I can understand. Hiking is hard.

So, hiker-writer, what's your plan? What's your style? My advice is to be realistic, let the journey be as easy (and enjoyable) as possible, and give yourself some grace. You can break up your master plan into tiny steps and achievable goals. Don't overthink the writing process. DO begin. Take the first step and keep taking steps. Leave room to learn along the way. Even those crazy, barefoot trail runners have to ascend mountains one step at a time.

My best friend Jamie has hiked almost every Tennessee trail in the Great Smoky Mountains. She has become a natural at reaching enormous goals one painful or joyful step at a time.

As you struggle and learn and move up that mountain, think about how wonderful you will feel when you return to the trailhead with a story to share with the world. Now, climb! —Jody


P.P.S. SPREAD THE WORD! 

🚨 Calling ALL Aspiring Authors 🚨
I am proud to announce that I will lead my new course “Write That Book” for the University of Tennessee Center for Professional Education & Lifelong Learning. Anyone 18 or older is welcome! We meet on Tuesday nights in April.
No matter your genre, subject, or writing ability, you'll leave with an achievable plan and supportive tools to help you realize your dream of becoming a published author..
For more information about the course, please email me at dyer.cbpublishing@gmail.com. If you’re ready to register for the class, click here.