Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Paper or Plastic (Computer)?

 Hello creatives,

I hope the week is going well and you are finding joyful pursuits every day. Am I old, stubborn, or just low-tech? I wonder, because it feels like I'm CONSTANTLY being sent to an "app." I remember when a teaching colleague whipped out a USB thumb drive, and I thought he was about to light a cigarette on school property. I thought he had a lighter, and I was light years behind.

I'm heading to New York City tomorrow to visit my cousin Annie. She's quite the world traveler and tech-whiz, so she TEXTED me an APP to use to CHECK IN ONLINE and BUY a ticket for rail passage from Newark, New Jersey, to Penn Station in Manhattan. Geez, that plus the whole Allegiant app check-in process on my phone's tiny screen took an hour. I do believe all these convenient tools take longer than a plain old paper ticket. Right? I think I'm one of those old-fashioned ladies who needs a younger traveling companion.

Speaking of paper, I often joke that I'm a tree killer. Meh. I plant trees and water plants. I'm good. I do use a whole heck of a lot of paper, though. Sometimes, being outside or in a different room, holding a pen and not tapping a keyboard, and physically writing can be freeing! Try it. When I brainstorm and work on projects, each one has it's own stack of paper. REAL paper. When school supplies rear their neon heads at department stores in early August, I snatch up 100 or more 15 cent spiral bound notebooks. They serve me well.

gray and white pathway between green plants on vast valley
caption for image

If you are weary of the screen and need a new outlook on your project, try paper and pen. Try using paper and pen OUTSIDE. Take your writing on the road. You can always type whatever you create on paper into Word. I'm all packed for New York with walking shoes, cash, a mugger whistle (my mother insisted), and, you guessed it, a notebook and pen.

Happy writing!

Jody