Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Listen to this. I promise it's worth your time, and it may change your life.

Children so often put big issues and ideas into humble perspective, don't they? Last week after picking Scotty (age 13) up from middle school, I tried to explain the practice of meditation to him. I talked to him about chants and how people touch their "regular" fingers to their thumbs, one at a time, and use mantras to clear their minds or focus on one idea, one goal, one feeling, etc. I used our last name and modeled for him, "D - Y - E - R, D - Y - E - R." I then told him different chants that people use and how I often repeat a Bible verse. After a mini-mama-lecture, I said, "Scotty, this meditation stuff can be confusing. It's an ancient practice from foreign cultures. Do you understand?" 

He said, "Yes ma'am."

I said, "Okay. Try one for me."

Scotty closed his eyes, touched his pinky fingers to his thumbs, and calmly, slowly chanted as he released one finger then touched the next to his thumb for each new word, "Easy - peasy - lemon - squeezy." 

I laughed all - the - way - home.

Scotty reminded me to not take myself too seriously, to laugh, to enjoy teachable moments, and to keep LEARNING. A few days later, I heard an AWESOME podcast episode by Mel Robbins, and I was reminded once again that we overthink many things in life, starting with our dreams.

A small step triggers momentum that leads to more small steps that lead to huge results, like DREAMS come true. Too often, we set enormous, wonderful goals and then look only at the result, which can appear impossible to actualize. Oddly, the words "actualization" and "action" start with the root word "act." To actualize a dream, one must first act, then continue with more action. Good news. Acts can be tiny. Results, again, can be huge. 

If you have a dream like oh, I don't know, writing and publishing a book, making your current project more profitable, or starting a new project, and you are having a hard time moving forward, I beg you to gift yourself one hour and listen to this podcast. I can't promise you won't hear a few "bad words." I CAN promise you'll be inspired to take the next small step toward your awesome, huge goal!

After you listen, I double Beagle dog dare you to set a Next Steps Call with me here: Click to schedule a 30-minute call right on my calendar!

Save that link.

Now, go to Mel Robbins Podcast and listen. For you. If You Only Listen to One Podcast Today, Make It This One I The Mel Robbins Podcast

I KNOW YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO:)))

In 2002, my husband and I decided to have another child. Long, act-filled story later, we welcome Scotty through domestic infant adoption in 2010. Had I looked all at once and fretted over the enormity of what we were trying to achieve. My husband was adopted in 1963, so we are very much aware of and respectful toward the complexities of adoption. I would have given up many times, but someone encouraged us to take the first small action, then our social worker taught us the next, and so on. Eight years after failed and heartbreaking fertility treatments and the arduous adoption process, which includes to this day an inspiring and humbling relationship with Scotty's birth family, we became a family of four. Scotty and his birth family taught me that I can do anything, and I hope I share that spirit with you as we work together to reach your goals.

As Scotty says, the next, small acts are "easy - peasy - lemon - squeazy." 

Listen to the podcast.

Set an appointment with me.

 XOXOXO 

 

Scotty and I hike the Forney Ridge Trail to Andrews Bald. He carried a 2-pound box of taffy (I had no idea). Ha! My current HUGE goal is to hike all 157 trails of the Smokies.

In this photo, Scotty and Jeff celebrate their SHARED birthday, May 13. Jeff's huge goal is to take a month-long vacation across the USA.

Scotty's goal is to become a professional golfer. Big brother Houston's goal is to finish college and either coach high school basketball or be professional golfer Scotty Dyer's caddy!