Pages

Friday, February 11, 2022

Think outside the barn. Retreats are possible, and they work. Join me?

"Think outside the barn." I said that to my students all of the time when they couldn't solve a problem or find an answer. I taught in rural East Tennessee, so they appreciated my twist on the cliche.

What's funny is that you can absolutely think inside a barn, too. While the computer is a great tool, using paper to hash out stories, draft characters, draw scenes, brainstorm, etc., can free you from a number of limiting temptations. When I was young, I liked to hang out in our old tobacco barn. My goat Jill quietly kept me company as she rubbed her knotty head against the wood, crippled Beagle Bell rolled in the cool dirt floor and sniffed under the stalls, and Mama's chickens clucked happy background banter. Underneath the tobacco loft still hangs a wooden swing, where I often daydreamed on, you guessed it, paper. For some reason, being outdoors makes me much more productive. Even now, I sit right beside a HUGE window as I work.

Hmmm, I thought more productively "outside the barn" while inside the barn. Ha!

My colleague Debbie Patrick (Vision Run Publishing) and I are planning a writing retreat. We agreed on the following non-negotiables:

  • Private bedrooms
  • Interior space so that writers can spread out and concentrate without interruption
  • Outdoor space to explore or to enjoy as inspiration
  • Easy access to restaurants
  • At least a one-hour drive to separate us physically from family and work obligations
  • Quiet
  • Internet access
  • Affordable pricing for authors
  • Instructional time
  • Time for one-on-one and/or group feedback
  • PLENTY of time to just write

What would you add to our list?

If life is too busy right now, you can actually create a DIY retreat at home. I found some logical tips online. Plan ahead. Schedule the time "off" to write. PROTECT that time without apology. Cut off any distractions (phones, internet, TV, radio). Prep with supplies. Set realistic goals. Reward yourself each day with a treat (I highly recommend chocolate in any form) or experience (yin yoga and massages are great for writers).

My old thinking and stomping grounds.

I have tried the DIY, at-home retreat approach a few times, and I have failed every time. My children, husband, mother, and cats were not cool with the idea. I couldn't resist working on client projects first, and by the time I looked up from the screen, most of the day was gone. Once, the internet went out. Another time, my computer crashed. Yet another time, a child had to stay home from school. We are all in different stages of life, so figure out what could work for you. Maybe you can protect a few days at home and crank out a few thousand words. Maybe you can afford a solo weekend getaway. Maybe a formal retreat would be an adventure for you. Maybe Debbie's and my idea is just the right fit.

I know what I need in order to think outside the barn: a different barn!

What do YOU think? What do you think a writing retreat should offer? I'd love to hear your ideas, and I'll share them with Debbie as we plan something special. Maybe you can come think and write with us.

xoxoxo

Jody

If you'd like to stay in the Crippled Beagle Publishing loop and get news on writing retreats, courses, coaching, writing workshops, as well as writing, editing, publishing, and book marketing, .