Pages

Friday, November 5, 2021

Write on, writers!

 

low angle photography of trees at daytime

HAPPY NOVEMBER. This is a BIG month for the word nerd herd.

Have you heard of NaNoWriMo?

From the organization's website:

So, what is NaNoWriMo?

NaNoWriMo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides tools, structure, community, and encouragement to help people find their voices, achieve creative goals, and build new worlds — on and off the page.

NaNoWriMo believes in the transformational power of creativity. We provide the structure, community, and encouragement to help people find their voices, achieve creative goals, and build new worlds—on and off the page.

Back to Jody now:) Writers often start projects in November because the community provides prompts, support, and group momentum. Visit the website and explore what the organization offers.

https://nanowrimo.org/

Create a personal challenge for the next few weeks. Why not? I mean, you aren't busy, right? My husband, a.k.a., Tall Child, says my personality changes after Halloween. I tell him that I'm not a seasonal witch, but I am overwhelmed with domestic and holiday pressures during the fourth quarter of the year. Plus, my clients often want their books perfected, published, and shipped by Christmas Day. All that said, no matter how busy we are, it's crucial that we feed our creative souls.

The food? TIME and focus on your writing.

You are not selfish for making time to do what you love. As a matter of fact, if I neglect my own creative projects, I actually LOSE energy for my clients' work.

My NaNoWriMo personal challenge is to finish (yikes) the first ROUGH draft of an exciting co-writing project. I have the transcripts, which means my co-writer has done her part. Now I just need to, well, find that blessed time. I'm thinking Friday mornings will do just fine. Clients come first, Monday-Thursday.

WRITING TIP: Use the five senses to brainstorm. Consider your topic. What do you see, hear, taste, smell, and feel? Brainstorming is the perfect way to start a project. NOTHING is off limits, you don't need to self-edit, ideas open up like crazy, and you can use paper. Tree-killers are welcomed in November. Do what you have to do to get started.

Need inspiration? Call or email me for encouragement, but just not before noon on Fridays. I'l lbe NaNoWriting!

xoxoxoxo

Jody